Reopening update 5/21/20: we are only accepting essential materials (including trash, recycling and food scraps), as well as leaf and yard debris and some electronics. Please read our post for more information.
The Regional transfer station is located at 14 Gleason Road in Rutland, VT. Residents and small businesses can dispose just about anything here! Transfer station users must show a permit to participate in most programs. Residents of our district member towns with transfer stations may obtain a permit at no cost by showing your town transfer station permit.
Phone Number :: 802.773.9231
Hours of operation :: All programs; Monday - Saturday, 7:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Some programs are free to all non-commercial customers, even without a permit, including:
- Those covered by Extended Producer Responsibility laws-
- Some Electronics (TVs, Computers & peripherals, Printers), Thermostats, Paint, Compact Fluorescent Bulbs (CFLs), and Batteries- most of these are considered hazardous waste and must be handled properly.
- The Statewide Six Recyclables-
- Cardboard, Paper, Glass, Aluminum, Tin, and Hard Plastics (#1 - #7)
- Scrap Metal/ white goods (ovens, stoves- large metal appliances with white enamel)
- Leaves/Grass clippings (not brush)
How do I purchase/renew a permit?
Permit prices are annual as follows (half-price permits begin on July 1 every year)- Residents (In-district): $10; (out-of-district): $40 Businesses (In-district): $20; (out-of-district): $60 You could save up to $35 per ton of trash and construction/demolition debris! That means the permit could pay for itself in one load. There are three ways (cash or check only):
- Visit our office- 1 Smith Rd, Rutland, VT 05701; Mon - Fri: 7 AM - 4:30 PM
- During your week-day trip to the transfer station
- By mail- Fill out this form and mail it with a check to:
Rutland County Solid Waste District, 2 Greens Hill Lane Rutland, VT 05701
Holiday Closings & Hours
New Year’s Day (Jan. 1) -- CLOSED
Memorial Day (4th Monday in May) -- CLOSED
4th OF July -- CLOSED
Labor Day (1st Monday in Sept.) -- CLOSED
Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday in Nov.) -- CLOSED
Christmas EVE (Dec. 24) -- CLOSE AT 11 AM
Christmas Day (Dec. 25) -- CLOSED
OPEN FOR ALL OTHER HOLIDAYS