Other Programs

Home » Other Programs

Don’t Burn VT                         Electronics                        Hardcover Books   

Textiles/Clothing           Prescription Medications           Community Events



Trash burning is illegal in Vermont, yet many still do it. Today’s trash contains plastics, metals and other synthetic materials, which emit toxic fumes and harmful quantities of dioxins when burned. Find Out More Here.
Dioxins are a group of highly toxic chemicals known to cause cancer, and other illnesses. It’s not just one individual’s health and property that are affected by burning trash; we all are affected. Vermont’s Agency of Natural Resources (ANR) has launched a public education effort called, “Don’t Burn Vermont,” to educate Vermonters about the effects of trash burning.

To report illegal burning of trash, call your district Environmental Enforcement Officer in the Agency of Natural Resources.

Illegal Burning

Don’t Burn VT!

Complaint Form
Informational Card




RCSWD has partnered with Big Hearted Books for the collection of books, videos, CDs, DVDs, Audio Books, Video Games, Sports Cards and small Sports Memorabilia, and LPs/Records. These materials are accepted for disposal at the Gleason Rd transfer station Monday through Saturday from 7-3.




The Council for Textile Recycling has information on the national crisis of textiles entering our landfills. These numbers are astonishing (such as 5% of landfill space is taken up by textiles), and reducing the amount that is produced is a must. Try shopping at thrift stores and yard sales first, and make sure to donate or recycle your clothing

Find locations where you can drop off textiles for donation. Additionally, you can donate to any place on the list of donation stores




All types of unused prescription drugs must NOT be thrown in the trash or down the drain or toilet.

Improper handling of prescription medications will lead to unwanted environmental degradation, as well as putting yourself and others in danger of theft and drug abuse. Prescription drug takeback events are held at least twice a year, so look out for those in the news. If there is no upcoming event, the following procedures must be taken to dispose of prescription drugs:

Prescription Drugs

Unused, unwanted or expired

  • Pills and liquids: In Rutland, there are several options for disposal of medications. The Rutland County Sheriff’s Department will accept all types of prescription drugs that are not in syringes or sharp containers. Their office is located at 88 Grove Street, Rutland, VT 05701. It is open from 6:00 AM – Midnight from Monday to Saturday and 6 AM – 8:00 PM on Sundays. There is now a MedSafe drop off bin at the Rutland Regional Medical Center Pharmacy available for anonymous drop-off Monday to Friday from 7 AM – 5 PM.
  • Empty Needles/Syringes: Contain the needles in a sturdy plastic container such as a laundry detergent bottle. Tape the container shut, and label it “DO NOT RECYCLE.” Only then may it be thrown in the trash. For more information on sharps disposal, visit this website.




In order to comply with the Act 148 Universal Recycling Law, there are a few things you must do before hosting your event:


  • Recyclables were banned from the landfill in 2015 so you must sort them out from the trash
  • Keep a blue bin (or any bin) next to the trash and CLEARLY label it ‘Recycling”
  • The person or organization who puts on the event is responsible for recycling
  • Click here for signage and here to receive more information on recyclables


Food Waste

  • Food scraps will not be banned from the landfills until 2020, but it is still a good idea to have a bin at an event for food scraps if you have a reliable source to bring them to
  • For bigger events, create a three bin system and CLEARLY label the bucket ‘Food Scraps’
  • For smaller events, simply put a bucket next to the trash and recycling with the label ‘Food Scraps’
  • The person or organization who puts on the event is responsible for food scraps

    Toter for disposal

  • Click here for signage and here for more information



  • Keep the trash bin next to the recycling and food scrap bins
  • The person or organization who puts on the event is responsible for the garbage
  • Click here for signage


How We Can Help

  • Answer any questions you might have with a phone call, email, or a trip to our office
  • Share hauler information to contract for collection of materials to dispose
  • Provide on-site education, bins and assistance with set up and tear down upon request
  • Previously listed materials are accepted at all transfer stations in our district!