Green Up Vermont: Turning Trash into Tradition
When: Saturday, May 5, 2018 (First Saturday in May)
Where: Find your town & coordinator- www.greenupvermont.org
Rutland City Green Up- Pick up bags at City Hall from 8 AM to noon (1 Strongs Ave); Pick up and drop off bags of litter at Kinney Subaru (128 US Route 7 South Rutland, VT 05701) from 8 AM - 5 PM
What to Wear: Work boots (with ankle support recommended) or heavy duty shoes, long pants (jeans or other heavy material), bright / light colored shirts, work gloves, jackets, hats, layers for weather, reflective items, sunscreen, and insect repellent (Be Tick Smart!)
GENERAL SAFETY GUIDELINES
- Keep a First Aid Kit available
- Work with partners or teams, one side of the road at a time; travel by vehicle to the other side
- Keep volunteers and vehicles on the same side of the road, parking 10 feet from shoulder
- Watch footing, especially on slopes
- Prevent overexertion – take breaks, drink water
- Visit www.rcswd.com/a-z-list to find out how to dispose of certain items (dead animals, needles, suspected toxic / hazardous materials).
- Groups with children should have two cars: One “lead” car ahead and one “follow” car, with the children working in between
- Be tick smart – wear long sleeves and pants, use insect repellent, check for ticks
Green Up Day is a 48 year old tradition, and it shows no sign of slowing down! Every first Saturday of May, every town hands out green bags for local residents to collect litter on sidewalks and roadsides. There are many different ways to participate: (1) volunteer to pick up litter -- let your town coordinator know how many people volunteer with you, (2) help publicize the day with posters, social media, and Front Porch Forum, (3) ask your town coordinator what other ways there are to help.
After Green Up Day, make sure to let your town coordinator know how many volunteers there were in your group. Post pictures on the Green Up Vermont facebook page! For more local information, visit www.rcswd.com, or call the Rutland County Solid Waste District- (802) 775-7209.